Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Connect with Mother Nature

If your stress levels are high, the "green prescription" is to take slow walks through the park, or even a strenuous hike up a mountain. Spending time in nature can reduce your stress levels immensely. Just being in that type of environment with beautiful trees, plants, flowers, fresh air and sunshine, for at least 30 minutes, can help reduce stress significantly.

 This is my son and I climbing up the mountain in Tennessee. This was the best vacation I have had in a long time. It was completely stress free. We hiked, we walked, we would just sit on the front porch at my uncle's cabin watching the different animals go by and it was THE quietest place I have been in a long time. I would like more vacations like that!


Stress will always be with us. We may not be able to change the circumstances we live with, but we can learn to deal with them in ways to cut down on cortisol production. Being diagnosed with Adrenal Fatigue has helped me to learn how to manage my stress levels and to care for my health.

Here's some good advice from Dr. Connealy: "We all worry, and too often we focus on things that are beyond our control. In other words, we stress ourselves out for no good reason. If you find that you're worrying over the same things day after day, try setting aside a "worry time," a five- to ten-minute daily session when you look at whatever is troubling you. If these thoughts intrude at any other time during the day, tell yourself they'll have to wait for worry time." 

Here's to your health!

4 comments:

  1. oh wow! what a beautiful cabin house your uncle got, Brenda! so peaceful, so lovely and the view is priceless! i can imagine myself sitting on the front porch with a cup of tea and just relax! i could see like someone leaning against the tree? and looks like a lovely pond/lake? what a lovely walk/hike up in surrounded by green green and trees! you and your son look like enjoying the walk! yes it's a great solution to relieve some stress and what a great tip from Dr.Connealy!

    x susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice photos of Tennessee, Brenda! I'm glad you had such a relaxing and enjoyable time. Oh, the picture of you and your son on the bridge is so peaceful, and the background wooded area reminds me of places in NJ where I grew up. I can imagine the Native Americans walking through there, because it still holds its natural innocence.

    I just finishing posting, and now I'm off for a walk! Great advice.

    Enjoy your day,
    Marianne xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brenda,
    Nature walks sound like a wonderful idea. My husband loves to take hikes on trails, and has even climbed mountains. We could all use some sweet alone time to clear our heads, can't we?
    ~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

    ReplyDelete